Post Tagged with: "Dish"

Verizon Adds Over 1.4 Million Contract Customers in Q2

Though Verizon won’t release its full financial report for the second quarter until later in the month, the carrier has revealed a big improvement in contract customer additions. CEO Lowell McAdam said at an event on Thursday that Verizon added more than 1.4 million postpaid customers in the quarter. That’s more than both the disappointing [...]

read more

Dish Calls on FCC to Reject Comcast-Time Warner Cable Deal

Dish Network is once again calling on the FCC to intervene in a deal it doesn’t like. Charlie Ergen, the head of Dish, met with FCC chair Tom Wheeler and the other four commissioners on Monday to discuss Comcast’s $45 billion acquisition of Time Warner Cable. His chief argument is that that the combined company [...]

read more

Dish Interested in T-Mobile if Sprint Merger Fails

Dish Network chair Charlie Ergen confirmed this week that his company has its eye on T-Mobile, but won’t get into a bidding war with Sprint over the fourth largest U.S. carrier. He also said that Dish was interested in DirecTV, which AT&T is reportedly looking to buy. “We don’t have the kind of money to [...]

read more

AT&T Reportedly Considering DirecTV Acquisition

AT&T is reportedly in discussions with satellite provider DirecTV about a possible acquisition. The Wall Street Journal reported the story on Thursday and cited unnamed sources familiar with the situation. DirecTV has about 20 million subscribers and a deal would be worth at least $40 billion. Though both companies have declined to comment on the [...]

read more

Dish Withdraws $2.2 Billion Bid for LightSquared

Dish Network has withdrawn its $2.2 billion bid for the bankrupt wireless company LightSquared. The move comes as a surprise, since Dish has aggressively pursued an acquisition of the company. Dish chair Charlie Ergen even went so far as to buy up LightSquared debt, a controversial move that has resulted in a trial that recently [...]

read more

SoftBank Reportedly in Final Talks to Purchase T-Mobile

Rumors of a Sprint and T-Mobile merger gained traction this week thanks to a report from the Nikkei Asian Review. The report states that SoftBank, which owns 80% of Sprint, is in the final stages of talks with the parent of T-Mobile, Deutsche Telekom. SoftBank is apparently putting together a bid of more than $19 [...]

read more

Dish May Clash with Sprint over T-Mobile Bid

First, the Wall Street Journal reported late last week that Sprint was considering a purchase of T-Mobile. Then this week Sprint and Dish announced they were working together to launch a fixed wireless broadband service in Texas. Now the triangle is complete as Reuters reports that Dish is considering making its own bid for T-Mobile [...]

read more

Sprint and Dish Join Together for Fixed Wireless Broadband Service

Despite clashing earlier this year around the Clearwire and SoftBank acquisitions, Sprint and Dish seem willing to let all that be water under the bridge. The two companies announced that they will be working together to develop a high-speed fixed wireless broadband service. Initially, the service will only be available in limited areas in Corpus [...]

read more

Sprint to Sit Out Upcoming Spectrum Auction

Though it often seems as if the large U.S. carriers can’t get enough spectrum, Sprint announced that it won’t be taking part in an upcoming government auction. The spectrum auction is set for January and offers a part of the spectrum known as the H-block. Since the H-block is adjacent to Sprint’s other spectrum holdings, [...]

read more

At Long Last, SoftBank Takes Control of Sprint

Finally, it’s all over. Sprint Nextel completed its purchase of Clearwire earlier this week and now SoftBank has closed its deal to take control of Sprint, bringing the long-running saga to a close. SoftBank paid $21.6 billion for a 78% stake in Sprint, leaving 22% to Sprint shareholders. $16.6 billion of the purchase price will [...]

read more